It is the objective to promote equitable and consistent human resource policies that specifically prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, or disability. HR Policy manual addresses the rights and responsibilities of employees. It is a set of instructions and rules to carry out the business with the manpower deployment in any organization.
Policies are always framed for smoothness and to the easiness of acceptance the procedures in a systemized way.So today we are discuss about How Human Resource (HR) Policies Works.
Area of work/field covered in it:
- Rules and Regulations of employment (Detailed Appointment Letter)
- Employment Benefits
- Performance Appraisal – KRA/Primary Jobs
- Promotion Policy with career guide
- Retirement benefits and Retirement Age
- Attendance and its procedures
- Leave Rules
- Disciplinary Action
- Manpower Planning
- Recruitment Policy
- Education Criteria for each post
- Traveling Expenses Rules for the work carried outside the premises
Rules and Regulations of Employment
It is covered by detailed appointment letter with the terms and conditions of employment. It is specifically defined that an individual is appointed in a specific capacity with the remunerations accepted by both the parties. It also clarifies the employment criteria before and after the probation period. Generally a six month probation period is granted to the new recruited person. It is cleared to both the Recruiter and Recruited person to cease the employment with in 24 hours notice before confirmation in services. Once the confirmation is granted, one month notice period or one month pay in lieu of that is payable who so ever serves the notice to cease the employment.
As the work tenure marches ahead, benefits under employment start applicable.
Benefits Descriptions may be:
- Paid Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Group Life Insurance
- Health Benefits
- Leaves of Absences
- Long-term Care
- Optional Life Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Wellness Programs
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
The employee assistance program provided to health plan members offers up to four visits at no cost to you or members of your household for counseling in such areas as mental health, substance abuse, work and family issues, and financial or legal matters. Get additional information on the Employee Assistance Program.
Flexible Benefits Program
Enrolling in a medical and/or dependent care flexible reimbursement account (FRA) allows employees who are health plan members to set aside part of their salary on a pre-tax basis each pay period to pay for certain out-of-pocket expenses. You can use a medical FRA to pay for medical, dental and vision care expenses not covered by your health plan. A dependent care FRA can be used to reimburse eligible child care or dependent self-care expenses so that you and your spouse can work or actively look for work.
Group Life Insurance Plans
Upon employment full-time classified employees automatically are enrolled in a group life insurance policy at no cost the employee. This plan provides natural death, accidental death and dismemberment coverage. Coverage is the equivalent of two times the employee’s annual salary for natural death and four times the employee’s annual salary for accidental death. (Get additional information on the Group Life Insurance Plans.)
Health benefits are framed for full-time and part-time classified employees, early retirees and certain family members. It varies from state to state and management to management.
Performance Appraisal – KRA/Primary Jobs
KRA is defined as Key Result Area of work which an employee carries during his employment and Primary jobs are concerned with planned activities with the %age for overall yearly performance achieved.
It is also mandatory for every establishment to frame a promotion policy for the deserving, result oriented employees on their yearly performance. It can be fixed for two/three year’s continuous service at one or more places in the same unit or other related sub-units. If the recommendations from the department head are assigned for promotion and Performance Appraisal/KRA approaches for the significant results, departmental head can recommend for promotion caring other employees of the department. This is also helpful in the terms to make the career graph of all employees simultaneously.
Retirement is fixed as 58 years of age, as per the date of birth information recorded in service book based on educational certificates or other any authentic proof.
It leads to the punctuality of an employee to report on duty well on time. Every employee should reach at his/her work place well before the scheduled shift. If attendance is electronic, punch card/finger print or any other tool should be used properly to mark the attendance. It is the duty of employee to ensure the attendance marked.
Casual leave/Sick leave/Privilege leave is sanctioned for the employees on muster rolls. Those covered under ESI, can avail their Sick Leave from ESI Dispensary.
Eligibility to avail Leave
CL – 1 after working 52 days
SL – 1 after working 52 days
PL – 1 after working 20 days (After 240 days work performed during the year)
Before moving on leave, it is the duty of employee to get the leave sanctioned from Head of Department as per the instructions laid down.
CL – 1 day before proceeding on leave as per the balance on the day applied. Maximum 2 Casual leave can be taken at once.
SL – the same day or after rejoining the duties from sickness; but information has to be given to the company
Sick leave in excess of 2 days will be granted on the strength of a medical certificate from the registered medical practitioner or as applicable in ESI Rules
PL – 7 days before proceeding on leave as per the balance on the day applied and can avail 3 times in the calendar year.
The Earned Leave will be credited and can be availed after completion of one year. The Earned Leave can be availed in advance such that after minimum 8 months of working from the date of joining.
These leaves can be accumulated up to maximum of ( ) days and balance can be encashed. For this purpose application can be made to respective HOD for forwarding it to Personnel Dep’t for (encashment).
CL can not be combined with any other leave except compensatory off.
PL/SL can be combined subject to the availability of leave in account of employee.
Compensatory Leave – the work performed other than the duty hours/holiday/weekly off – minimum 3 hours in working days and can be accumulated as proceeds. It should be availed in next two months from the day work performed.
In following terms if any of the terms of employment/systems breaks, shall be liable for disciplinary action.
- Frequent late arrivals on duty
- Breach of any terms of employment
- Continue absent from duty more than 10 days
- Non compliance of the instructions of the Superior
- Delay in performing the duties assigned
- Theft / provocation to loss of the company
- Usages of Alcohol/Tobacco at work premises and
- Activities covered under the definition of misconduct.
To meet out the difference between Manpower sanctioned vs Manpower On the roll, recruitment will be made to fill the gaps by way of personal communication, publication, agencies or any other method.
RECRUITMENT / SELECTION
The Recruitment process begins with the defining of Job Description and Job Specification of any given vacancy. This is to be done in consultation with the requisition department.
- JOB DESCRIPTION:Describes the contents of the job, major responsibilities, extent of supervision received or exercised, level of responsibility, positioning in the organization, place of posting, Department, conditions of work, opportunities for advancement.
- JOB SPECIFICATION:Clarifies as to what all is expected of the candidate.
- SOURCES:Once the above information is completed the following 3 sources are tapped, in order of preference:
1. Personnel Department’s Data Bank
2. Recruitment Agencies/Consultancies.
- CONSTITUTION OF INTERVIEW COMMITTEE: The Interview committee constitutes of members representing:1. Personnel Department
2. Concerned Department.A third member is also associated if in case the post requires so.Candidates short-listed by the committee are got approved by the Head in Staff & Officers’ Grade & Personnel Head in Workers’ Grade.
- INTERVIEW: A brief of the company (Rainbow Denim Limited) activities, financial status, highlights, rules and practices of the subject unit are explained to the candidates, and related quarries answered, if any.After confirming that the candidate’s educational qualifications, nature of experience, technical (subject) knowledge and salary expectations meet our requirement, other characteristics listed below, are examined to ensure that candidate is suitable and is likely to be effective.A. Physical characteristics like appearance, health and age
B. Personality traits like sense of responsibility, general awareness & outlook, communication, initiative and qualities of leadership.
C. Mental aptitude like hard work & concentration, analytical ability, resourcefulness, judgments, ingenuity, sincerity & loyalty.On being satisfied of the candidate’s suitability for a job the committee also assesses him in context to the following specific organizational requirements:- Acceptability: This implies the candidate’s acceptability in the organization, and his own acceptability of the organizational culture. For this candidate’s personal characteristics such as traits of temperament, extra-curricular interests, social circle, family background are looked into.
- Stability & Growth Potential: Any candidate selected for appointment is expected to work and grow with the organization and hence features like the candidate’s Ambition and Regional preferences are examined in relation to the growth opportunities available with the Company.
-Induction: After selection, candidates will need induction to know the work culture of the company, functioning of all departments, history of the company, its manufacturing, commercial and market status, official language and strength of the organization.
-Training: During the course of employment, a need base training calendar will be prepared to enhance the quality, job knowledge to up grade every employee in their work area.